Monday, December 2, 2013

On the Road to Clarity

So we (Baby S and I) had our first appointment at Kaiser Fontana today. We met with the RN in the Breast Care Clinic to go over a ton of information, I brought my entourage which included both my parents, my mother-in-law and Sam (my hubby). It was a good thing I had so many extra sets of ears because I sure got a lot of information.
We know that I have Adenocarcinoma and it is Triple-negative. It will respond best to Chemo, my tumor is about 4.2 cm. (smaller than I originally thought). Staging is not an option right now because it requires radiation which is off limits as long as Baby Sager is in residence.
I found out about wigs, reconstruction, the port-catheter, support groups, disability, recovery, protheses, and got lots and lots of reading materials. Plus the nurse we met with is going to work on finding me a new OB who is interested/willing to take on my case, so I don't have to fire my old OB, she'll do it for me :)
I also now have an oncology appointment on Friday as well as a genetics appointment. The first is where will we find out exactly what course of treatment we will go down, the second I will find out if I carry the BRCA mutation or not (Angelina Jolie doesn't seem as crazy to me now).
The one thing that was clearer than anything today was what amazing co-workers I have! When I got to work today someone had copied my motto, laminated them and put them in all teacher's boxes. One thing I know I will not have to worry about is my students while I am out (Baby and I don't need any extra germs...and as most of us know middle schooler's don't have the best hygiene habits) as my fabulous Serrano team will ensure they are in good hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment